Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel was born on this day in 1883 in Samur, France. Many people know Coco for her timeless perfume – Chanel No. 5, but did you also know that:
- She was raised by nuns who taught her to sew.
- She was given the name “Coco” while working as a singer. The name is a shortened version of “cocotte”, the French word for ‘kept woman’.
- She started out selling hats.
- She had a relationship with a German military officer during the German occupation of France during WWII.
- She popularized wearing multiple strands of pearls, tailored suit jackets, and the little back dress – all of which are still popular today.
Can’t afford a Chanel suit jacket or expensive eau de toilette? Opt for a less expensive Chanel staple – the Rouge Allure lipstick!
Happy Birthday and Joyeux Anniversaire Coco Chanel!
Chanel was an amazing, strong woman. There is much to be admired about her. Have you read “The Gospel According to Coco Chanel”? I highly recommend it. Great post!
Hello Inner French Girl! I have not read that Coco book yet, but it is on my list! I also still need to see Coco Before Chanel – have you seen it?