I often take quick, 1-3 night trips for business. On these trips, as with most trips, I try to pack in the most efficient way that I can, taking the smallest suitcase that I can. This prevents me from overpacking and possibly saving money by not having to check a bag. However, this can be challenging when you’re packing business clothes for the daytime and more casual clothes for night.
If you’ve ever been in this situation – whether it be an overnight business meeting or a weekend minibreak – here are a few tips to help you prepare for your trip. Although I practice all of these tips, I can’t take the credit for actually penning these gems. Lucky magazine recently published an article on 10 ways to maximize packing using a mini suitcase (small carryon). Here are the five that I can vouch for as a frequent traveler…
5 Ways to Maximize a Carryon Suitcase
- Avoid underpacking – Similar to when you overpack and stuff all your clothes together, packing too few things can cause your items to shift around during travel, which can lead to broken items or wrikled clothes.
- Ban the bulk – If you can’t avoid packing bulky items altogether, wear your bulkiest item(s) on the plane. This could be anything from a much needed jacket, sweatshirt, or sweater, or your chunkier shoes that just won’t fit in your bag. Save the dainty, smaller heels for the suitcase.
- Use wide open spaces – Openings in shoes are great places to stuff small pouches of jewelry, toiletries, socks, or other small items.On your return trip, you can stick small souvenirs in these openings as well.
- Roll with it – Instead of folding jeans, t-shirts, and camis, roll them to prevent creases.
- Focused fashion – When deciding what to wear, focus on one main color scheme – such as a neutral black, brown, or beige. For instance, if you’re color is black, select black and/or taupe pants, black shoes or sandals, and then fill out your wardrobe with colorful tops.
Want other travel tips? Read about the benefits of downsizing your travel purse and how to travel Bistro Chic style!