Hello all. I am writing this post from a business trip! Yes, I am currently in San Antonio and it is hot, hot, hot! I left for the airport this morning at 5:45 AM and when I arrived at the airport, guess what I had for breakfast?
That’s right! Starbucks! Hmm…nothing says a business-expensed breakfast quite like a yogurt parfait and a skinny vanilla latte!
Quite the little traveler…
When I first started traveling for business I had major overpacking syndrome, yet I always managed to forget at least one important item (I actually forgot dress shoes one time!) But after a few years of traveling, including a few back-to-back trips, my packing has improved tremendously. I have now developed a system to packing and use packing cubes – which are awesome by the way.
I have also learned what I can and can’t live without – especially concerning my carry on bag. Due to 9/11 travel regulations, everyone is restricted to what he/she can carry on. But, I have managed to establish a travel list of essential carry on items, other than my phone and camera, that can help me get through nearly any layover or other stressful airport situation.
Take a peak at what’s in my carry on for San Antonio:
12 Carry On Essentials to keep you feeling fresh and fabulous (not to mention sane) while traveling….
- Pashmina or long scarf – Can double as an accessory or as a thin blanket for a cold airport or airplane. Boy, did I need this today!
- Ipod with headphones – For entertainment, but also for those times when you want to avoid talking to the person next to you.
- Magazines/book – Magazines are my fave because I have a short attention span when I’m on a plane.
- Notepad/pen – For jotting down important reminders, to do’s, or simply ideas for my next blog post.
- Snacks – I don’t enjoy eating at airports, but I particularly don’t care for eating on planes. But, you never know when you’re going to be sitting on the runway for 3 hours. Because of all of the packing restrictions, I tend to buy these snacks once I’m through security. I try to eat as healthy as possible, and, at many airports, this is very hard to do. But, I can usually find yogurt, granola, nuts, and fresh whole fruit like bananas, apples, and pears.
- Bottled water – A must for traveling! Calorie free, keeps me hydrated, and doesn’t make me have to use the bathroom every ten minutes like soda or juice. I drank two bottles of water before getting on the plane!
- Toothbrush/paste – An easy way to refresh yourself on a long trip.
- Hand sanitizer – A necessity, especially when you can’t get up from your seat to wash your hands – yuck!
- Moist towelettes – These are fantastic to have in your purse or carry on at all times. You never know when you’re going to spill something on yourself or if someone is going to spill something on you.
- Light makeup/beauty items – Lipstick, powder, pick, hair clip, that’s all I need
- Sunglasses – These are great to have when the sun is shining in the main airplane cabin and you want to take a nap. They are also good for sneaking peaks at other travelers (Ooh, check out that great Coach purse!)
- Running shoes – I never go on a trip without them. And, I always pack them in my carry on for fear of my checked luggage being lost or delayed. I mean, you can buy new underwear, socks, and clothes, but it’s very hard to replace a good pair of broken-in running shoes!
Question of the day….What is your most essential carry on item?
Happy Travels Everyone!