Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel was born on this day in 1883 in Samur, France. Many people know Coco for her timeless perfume – Chanel No. 5, but did you also know that:
- She was raised by nuns who taught her to sew.
- She was given the name “Coco” while working as a singer. The name is a shortened version of “cocotte”, the French word for ‘kept woman’.
- She started out selling hats.
- She had a relationship with a German military officer during the German occupation of France during WWII.
- She popularized wearing multiple strands of pearls, tailored suit jackets, and the little back dress – all of which are still popular today.
Can’t afford a Chanel suit jacket or expensive eau de toilette? Opt for a less expensive Chanel staple – the Rouge Allure lipstick!
Happy Birthday and Joyeux Anniversaire Coco Chanel!