A few weeks back, I came across a post by one of my favorite travel experts – Samantha Brown. In her post, she noted 11 signs that you’re an experienced traveler. While I’m no Samantha Brown, I consider myself a pretty seasoned traveler. So as I read through her list, I found myself smiling and shaking my head in agreement to every one of her proof points (especially #4).
7 (More) Signs You’re an Experienced Traveler
1. You are always planning your next trip – Seasoned travelers constantly have travel on their minds and it’s rather common for them to have a few trips in the hopper. And for those true travel fanatics, it’s quite common to be planning your next trip while you are currently on a trip – yes, definitely guilty of this one!
2. You are the go-to person for travel advice – One of the main reasons I started my own blog almost 15 years ago was to pass on my travel knowledge to others in hopes that my experiences would help make theirs better. I also love sharing these many travel experiences and tips with friends and family, who often ask for suggestions on hotels, activities and restaurants in locations across the US and Europe.
3. You purchase clothes and shoes with travel in mind – When you are well-traveled, it’s hard not to purchase clothes that pack well and can be adapted to fit many travel experiences. You may also have a signature travel brand (ie Vuori) or even a travel capsule wardrobe full of stylish, comfortable and versatile pieces – always washed and ready for your next adventure.
4. Your travel toiletry bag is always fully stocked – Most people have a spot in the house for their everyday bath and body items. Those who are well-traveled will also notably have a separate, designated toiletry bag fully stocked with all things travel – from shampoo to face wash and creams, to tooth paste, a nail file and a razor, this traveler knows that keeping travel toiletries on hand and ready can save precious time and hassle.
5. You bring your own travel snacks – When it comes to snacks, travel veterans know that most flights offer primarily unhealthy snacks (cookies, pretzels, snack mix, etc). So experienced travelers will bring TSA approved snacks from home and/or know exactly where to look in the airport to find the healthiest options to take with them on the plane.
6. You have a purse or bag that’s only used for travel – Any experienced traveler knows that not all travel bags are created equal. Although a bag or purse may be super fun and trendy, travelers know that ideally, bags or purses should also be functional and complement the type of travel you are doing. You wouldn’t dream of bringing a dainty bejeweled bag on a safari or hiking trip nor would you bring a flimsy backpack or tote to a city known for pickpockets. Smart travelers do their homework to identify the most reliable and versatile bags to fit any and every travel situation.
7. You choose experiences over souvenirs – Any traveler pro will tell you that spending your time and money on experiences is better than spending them on souvenirs. That doesn’t mean that you can’t pick up a little something for yourself or someone else along the way. But rather, it means that, in the long run, making memories will mean more to you than making room in your suitcase for more trinkets.
Happy Travels Everyone!