A traveler at heart….there’s been something about the pandemic that’s made me want to travel to Europe – particularly France – even more than before. And it’s been challenging knowing that for more than a year, a trip to France or anywhere in Europe was just was not possible.
Like many travelers, I’m giving a cautious sigh of relief knowing that Europe will soon ease travel restrictions for Americans who are vaccinated. However, it’s still difficult to know exactly when the time will be right to travel across the pond.
If you are like me and are missing your annual trip to France, a 10 year anniversary trip to Paris, or a girls trip to the French Riviera, there are still ways to experience France and the French lifestyle in the US or wherever you are.
15 Ways to Experience France Wherever You Are
1. Peruse French art like Monet, Cezanne or Matisse at a local (or not so local) museum or take a virtual tour of the Louvre while sitting in your own home.
2. Create a French-themed playlist with favorites from Madeleine Peyroux, Gipsy Kings or Claude Debussy.
3. Brush up on your high school French using the latest language apps like Duolingo.
4. Sign up for a French cooking lesson (in-person or virtual) at Sur La Table.
5. Sip an espresso or cafe au lait in a local cafe (not a chain like Starbucks – although it will do in a pinch).
6. Have a glass of Champagne – All Champagne comes from France and my personal favorites are Veuve Clicquot yellow label, Moët & Chandon and Mercier.
7. Order authentic French pastries like macarons for a sweet treat.
8. Prepare a French-inspired cheese board using the best French cheeses.
9. Fancify your American grilled cheese by making a traditional French favorite, the Croque Monsieur.
10. Splurge for dinner at a French restaurant.
12. Subscribe to a French magazine or newspaper.
13. Add some classic French stripes to your wardrobe.
15. Bring the dreamy scent of lavender into your home with a fresh lavender plant, dried lavender or a scented candle.
Happy Travels and Au Revoir!