Happy Thursday everyone!
What do Disney World and Denmark have in common? At one point in time, each has been considered the happiest place on Earth.
According to a new report released by the Organization for Economic Co-Operation and Development (OECD), Denmark and Finland are indeed the happiest countries in the world, respectively reporting 90 percent and 86 percent overall life satisfaction. Furthermore, it seems that Scandinavian countries may hold the secret to happiness, with 6 Nordic countries making the top 10 of the happiest places on Earth (the US didn’t even make the top 10).
So what makes these nations so happy? The main reason is the overall economic health of the country, including gross domestic product (GDP) and unemployment rates. For instance, Denmark reported the best economic health with just a 2 percent unemployment rate and a GDP of $68,000 per capita – now that’s being productive!
So, how does your country rank?
Top 10 Happiest Countries in the World
- New Zealand
Not happy with your life? You could try moving to one of the Top 10 Happiest Places on Earth, or you could follow these simple ideas from Whole Living:
9 WAYS TO BE HAPPIER
- Give a little: Research shows that giving of ourselves makes us feel good.
- Eat avocados: Seriously? Yes, stress depletes vitamin B6, and this green machine is packed with the happy vitamin. I love guacamole so this should be a no-brainer for me.
- Take charge of your career: If you’re not happy at work, change the scenery with a desk move or career move.
- Do more yoga: Yes! I knew I did yoga for a reason.
- Spritz with essential oils: Oils from leaves, flowers, and fruit peels can help balance your mood.
- Savor strawberries: Don’t wait for summer to eat these babies- they are packed with vitamin C and can help boost your immune system all year round.
- Relax and energize: Take a few minutes out of your hectic schedule to rejuvenate and refresh yourself – take a walk or put your feet up with a good book.
- Be mindful: Meditation can help clear the mind and strengthen the soul. Sign me up!
- Add chickpeas to your diet: This small legume helps make dopamine, which is associated with pleasure.
Go forth and be happy everyone!