(Fortnum & Mason – photo source)
Fortnum & Mason has been the quintessential English store for over 300 years. Situated in the heart of London’s Piccadilly, F&M is known for its specialty food halls filled with delectable gourmet treats, including pastries, fresh fruits, wine, chocolate, specialty tea, candy, and more. This time of year, F&M is especially known for its Christmas hampers (or baskets as they are known stateside) which can be shipped all around the world.
With its impressive span of 3 decades, it’s no surprise that F&M has become a favorite of the royal family. In fact, Fortnum & Mason has held a number of royal warrants – an honor given to a company that has supplied goods to the warrant grantor for a period of at least 3 years – dating back over nearly 150 years, including:
- 1863 Grocers to HRH the Prince of Wales
- 1867 Oilmen to their Royal Highnesses Prince and Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein;
- 1867 Furnishers to the Establishment of HRH the Crown Princess of Prussia, Princess Royal of Great Britain and Ireland
- 1867 Confectioners and Foreign Warehousemen to HRH the Princess of Wales
- 1887 Foreign Warehousemen to HRH the Prince of Wales
- 1887 Purveyors of Oilery to HM the Queen
Fortnum & Mason in the US
Although there is only one store like F&M in the world, the store’s wares can be purchased online at F&M or even on Amazon. F&M products can also be purchased in specialty shops around the US, including Williams Sonoma. This year, special for the Christmas holiday, Williams Sonoma has introduced several F&M products in their stores, including a classic tea collection, Piccadilly biscuits, orange marmalade, berry preserves, and its very own Christmas hamper.
Whether you’re a self-proclaimed foodie or merely obsessed with British products, F&M gourmet foods are definitely worth the indulgence. Who knows, after one hamper, you may decree a royal warrant of your own.
Happy Holidays and Enjoy!