(Photo courtesy of Flickr)
Legendary actress Audrey Hepburn may be gone, but her beauty and style are hardly forgotten. Much of what the world remembers of Audrey’s style is associated with what she wore on the big screen. Who could forget her simple but gorgeous dresses in Sabrina, her bright white frock with matching hat in My Fair Lady, and of course, the little black dress in Breakfast at Tiffany’s. And what girl didn’t want to be Audrey after that movie?
Audrey’s iconic style has been immortalized once more as that same little black dress makes the top of the fashion list as the greatest female outfit on the silver screen. Her My Fair Lady dress makes the same list coming in at #6 in the top ten. Other outfits that make the shortlist include:
- Marilyn Monroe’s white dress from The Seven Year Itch
- Keira Knightley’s green dress from Atonement
- Ursula Andress’s bikini from Dr. No
- Kate Hudson’s gold dress from How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
- Olivia Newton John’s skin-tight pants from Grease
- Raquel Welch’s animal skin bikini from One Million Years BC
- Nicole Kidman’s red corset from Moulin Rouge
- Sarah Jessica Parker’s wedding dress from Sex and the City
My guess is that the little black dress made the top of the list because it is simple, versatile, elegant, and timeless – all classic elements of French style. Thank goodness too, because, can you really picture yourself in skin-tight, shiny black pants when you’re 50! Hmm, before you answer that, ask yourself – what would Audrey do?